A suffolk gas installer, Peter Skykes, was recently found guilty of gross negligence after one of his customers, Mrs Coe, 72, was found collapsed at her home.
She died the following day, and it has been confirmed that her death was due to carbon monoxide posioning – a direct result of Mr Skykes failure to maintain her heating system.
Mr Sykes was not registered with the Gas Safe Register as is required of all workers who carry out gas installation and maintainance work. This sad case shows why.
As reported by EAST24, after the hearing Detective Inspector Trevor Prior of Suffolk police said:
“We conducted a meticulous investigation with the Health and Safety Executive following the tragic death of Mrs Coe.
“This established that her death was due to deadly carbon monoxide, which was allowed to build up in her home as a direct result of Sykes’ failure to maintain her heating system.
“This case sends a clear message that the police can and will work closely and effectively with other agencies to bring offenders to justice.”
HSE Principal Inspector Vicky Fletcher added:
“Working on gas appliances is difficult, specialised and potentially very dangerous. It is therefore vital that only registered gas engineers, who are trained and competent, work on gas appliances and fittings.
“HSE will not hesitate to prosecute those who break the law in this way.”
It is easy to check whether or not an installer is competent to do work – all Gas Safe Registered installers will have an ID card. It will name the installer and have a photo of him. On the reverse of the card will be listed the type of work he is authorised to carry out.