Philip Hale, 52, and Roger Hale, 50 were both prosecuted by the HSE under the gas regulations when council housing officers found no trace of a gas safety record for the Himley Street property.
When asked to produce it, the brothers admitted that they had not had the appliances tested for eight years.
Two gas fires provided by the landlords to the tenants had also been condemned by National Grid following an inspection by them after a gas smell had been detected in the property.
The landlords were prosecuted at the Dudley Magistrates’ Court and both pleaded guilty to breaching the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. Philip Hale was fined £1,000 and Roger Hale was fined £1,500 and both were ordered to pay costs of £464 each.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Pam Folsom said:
“Philip and Roger Hale potentially put lives and property in danger by ignoring their responsibilities as landlords of this property.
“It is essential landlords have gas appliances inspected annually. Well- maintained appliances reduce the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning and dangerous gas leaks. Gas safety records are a legal requirement and give tenants the peace of mind they deserve when it comes to the safety of the appliances in their homes.
“Landlords who fail to have their gas appliances checked annually will be investigated by the Health and Safety Executive and action will be taken where necessary.”