This case involves landlord Shahid Hussain whose family business rents out several properties in Burton-on-Trent.
An investigation by the Health & Safety executive (HSE) after the death of one of his tenants from carbon monoxide poisioning found that only 2 of his 9 properties containing gas appliances had current landlord gas safety certificates.
Further, a number of appliances were found to be eitiher ‘immediatly dangerous’ or at ‘at risk’. Which put the rest of his tenants in danger.
Interestingly Mr Hussain was prosecuted under the section (3)(2) of the Health and Safety at Work Act.. This states:
“It shall be the duty of every self-employed person to conduct his undertaking in such a way as to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that he and other persons (not being his employees) who may be affected thereby are not thereby exposed to risks to their health and safety.”
This carries a maximum penalty in the Magistrates Court of £20,000 or up to 1 year imprisonment.
In the Crown Court any offences after 16th January,2009 can carry an unlimited fine or up to 2 years imprisonment.
Mr Hussein was prosectuted in the Stafford Crown Court and was fined £40,000 and ordered to pay £44,500 costs. The court stipulated that Hussain had to pay the fine by 31st January, 2010 or face a prison sentence of 18 months.
You can read a report of this on the HSE website here.