Valbond Management Ltd and sister company Holbond Ltd were prosecuted in the Westminster Magistrates court on 19 March by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after investigations showed that the companies had failed to carry out inspections and do essential maintenance work.
In particular a Gas Safe Register Engineer found that a flue joint had come apart in a ceiling void at one of the flats – this could have been leaking for as long as five years! The flats were in a privately managed block in Hampstead in North London.
Neither of the two management companies had done any gas safety checks as required by law, or served gas safety certificates on their tenants.
Both companies pleaded guilty. Valbond was fined a total of £28,000 with £432 in costs. Holbond was fined a total of £20,000 with £432 in costs.