After his gas certificate expired in October 2012, Accrington landlord Tariq Ali was served with an improvement notice after after gas appliances at several of his properties were classified as being ‘at risk’ or ‘immediately’ dangerous’.
Having ignored this he was prosecuted Trafford Magistrates’ Court for single breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 on 4 September 2014. The charges relate to failing to have the gas appliances checked annually, and failing to comply with an improvement notice.
After pleading guilty, Mr Ali was fined an eye watering £40,000 and ordered to pay £18,054 in prosecution costs.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE Inspector Stuart Kitchingman said:
“Mr Ali put his tenants’ lives at risk for financial gain by failing to arrange a gas safety check for nearly two years. We gave him several chances to organise an inspection, but he ignored all of these – including a formal improvement notice. We therefore had no choice but to take legal action.
“Dozens of people are killed or badly harmed every year from carbon monoxide poisoning so it is vital that landlords take the risks seriously. We will continue to prosecute landlords who think the law doesn’t apply to them.”