A landlord was prosecuted by the Health & Safety Executive and narrowly escaped a jail sentence when her tenant, Stephen Newton was found dead by friends on his 51st birthday at her Derbyshire property.
His partner Ms Davies, was also overcome by fumes but was found in time and made a full recovery.
Dr Victoria Martindale had used letting agents to find her tenant for her in 2005. The agents had done a gas safety check at that time, but Dr Martindale then dispensed with the agents and no further gas safety checks had been carried out.
The gas boiler had been condemned by an employee of National Grid Gas, who visited the house to replace the gas meter in 2008. The boiler was disconnected, but letters about this were never passed to Dr Martindale.
The problem would normally have been picked up by the annual gas safety inspection, but as no inspections were carried out, the boiler was not repaired.
Subsequently the boiler was reconnected by the tenant, with tragic consequences.